What is Venture Bound?
By: Kelly Elton
By helping participants acquire relevant job skills and experience—and by empowering them with self-awareness and respect—Venture Bound prepares young people for successful and sustainable employment.
Venture Bound is embedded in local educational districts, the nonresidential program runs concurrently with the school year. Training includes both classroom and on-the-job instruction, along with authentic community-based experiences.
Venture Bound’s curriculum is designed to assist individual students in developing new skills while maintaining their current functional abilities. The training and assessment methodologies complement individual objectives. Age-appropriate coursework and materials reflect activity patterns typical for independently working adults. Various outside materials supplement the curriculum.
Great Lakes Collaborative currently houses and funds the Venture Bound Program based upon a Needs Assessment in which transition services was recognized as an area of need.
Today, Venture Bound is in its second year at Perrysburg High School. It is with extreme gratitude I recognize Catina Harding, the Executive Director of GLCA and the Venture Bound Advisory Board members:
- Beth Ann Hatkevich, Ph. D., OTR/L-Director of Clinical and Educational Programming, University of Toledo
- Amy Thomas, Creative Director, The Creative Block
- Tom Daniels, MOD, SPHR, Assistant Director, Graduate and Executive Studies, Bowling Green State University
- Brittany Joseph, M.Ed., Special Education Instructor, Bowling Green State University
- Mallory Gebers, M.Ed., Special Education Teacher, Perrysburg Schools
- John Marble, Co-Founder, Autism Advantage
This group of individuals have provided amazing support and guidance in all aspects of developing Venture Bound. The statement it takes a village holds true in the development of Venture Bound.
Take a look at this video of me, explaining what Venture Bound is for the students.
Thank you to the Perrysburg Digital Media Club for developing this video!